Achievement Takes Commitment.
Color Commentary for Monday, August 7, 2017
By E. R. Haas
"My mother drew a distinction between achievement and success. She said that achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is in you. Success is being praised by others. That is nice but not as important or satisfying. Always aim for achievement and forget about success." ~ Helen HayesLast week we discussed how to turn ever-present opportunities into tangible results.
This week we are going to discuss achieving greater results—in every area of your life. From now until the end of the year we will be focusing on increasing your POWER to SET and ACHIEVE tremendously BRILLIANT goals for yourself—both personally and professionally.
Between now and New Years Eve 2017, we will be talking about some really BIG words, with HUGE implications to your success: Commitment... Promises... Achievement... Excellence... Vision... Intentionality... Clarity... Power... and a whole slew of other "ten gallon" words!
Achievement takes Power...
The simple fact of the matter is that it takes real POWER to achieve your dreams and goals. Goals do not achieve themselves. They require the sustained power over time to make them real.
Remember, even small goals take a small amount of POWER to realize. World-changing goals take wold-changing POWER.
If you wonder why many of your dreams, goals and aspirations fall through the cracks, the answer is simple: You lack the raw, results-producing personal POWER to achieve them.
Sadly, there is no "other", other explanation!
Again, to get everyone on the "same page," let's quickly run through your 10 Colors to see what power level your will need to actually ACHIEVE the results you desire.
This quick exercise will help you focus on where you are NOW, and what you will need to DO differently to get where you want to GO. Remember, each color-coded area of your performance is a link to the Quick TQ Test for that Color.
It is always a good idea to take a few minutes on Monday to spot check your strengths and weaknesses. (It's better to START the week off RIGHT rather than wondering where the time went Friday afternoon!)
How do you define ACHIEVEMENT?
So that we are all on the same page, here's how American Heritage defines ACHIEVEMENT (n):
- The act of accomplishing or finishing; A great or heroic deed: feat, exploit, stunt, masterstroke.
- Something accomplished successfully, especially by means of exertion, skill, practice, or perseverance.
- See ACCOMPLISH (verb): Achieve or complete successfully: the planes accomplished their mission.
If you don't agree with American Heritage, how would YOU define Achievement:
Exertion, Skill, Practice or Perseverance...
This is precisely what it takes to achieve your dreams, goals and aspirations... to COMPLETE what you have started successfully! Now, let's see how your EXPECTATIONS match up to your personal POWER.
#1 Personal Goal ____________________ Achieved by 12/31/2017
#1 Career Goal _____________________ Achieved by 12/31/2017
#1 Family Goal _____________________ Achieved by 12/31/2017
My Power of TQ...
- Do you have the physical and mental ENERGY level to achieve these top 3 goals in the next 90 days? Absolutely Yes ___ Not at this time ___
- Do you have the sense of purpose and MISSION to achieve these top 3 goals? Are they directly aligned with what you value most? Absolutely Yes ___ Not at this time ___
- Do you have the positive and proactive ATTITUDE necessary to achieve these top 3 goals given everything else going on in your life? Absolutely Yes ___ Not at this time ___
- Do you have the ability to turn these GOALS into clear milestones and objectives? Absolutely Yes ___ Not at this time ___
- Do you have the PLANNING skills required to achieve these top 3 goals? Absolutely Yes ___ Not at this time ___
- Do you have the unrelenting FOCUS needed to achieve these top 3 goals, or do you frequently get sucked into the urgencies of life? Absolutely Yes ___ Not at this time ___
- Do you have the team-building SYNERGY to achieve these top 3 goals between now and the end of the year? Absolutely Yes ___ Not at this time ___
- Do you have the ORGANIZATIONAL skills necessary to to achieve these top 3 goals? Absolutely Yes ___ Not at this time ___
- Do you have the TIME MANAGEMENT skills required to achieve these top 3 goals? Absolutely Yes ___ Not at this time ___
- Do you have the ACTION-ORIENTED mindset necessary to achieve these top 3 goals? Absolutely Yes ___ Not at this time ___
Tally your YES responses: ____ Now DIVIDE by 10 and MULTIPLY by 100 (i.e. 4/10 * 100 = 40%.) This is the probability that your top 3 goals will be achieved in the next 90 days: ____%
The Clock Is Ticking...
There are just 4 short months remaining for you to actually ACHIEVE your top 3 goals this year. Subtract about 2 weeks of holidays, and there are, maybe, 90 solid days left.
In truth, you have several options...
You can just TALK about your top 3 aspirations... you can move them from this year to SOMEDAY... you can REDUCE the size of your goals... you can ELIMINATE them... or you can simply POWER UP your performance and COMMIT to their achievement.
Achievement Takes Commitment... Commitment takes Power.
My advice is to look at each of your top 3 goals... determine if you have the POWER to make them real... and if not make the commitment to improving your Power of TQ.
When you stop to think about it, there is no other "other" way!
-- E.R. Haas, CEO
If you have any questions you would like us to answer personally, just send us an email! Click Here Answers@ThinkTQ.com...
The only dumb question is the one that's important to you... and you didn't ask!